Dear Mummy, when I grow up I want to be a mermaid. Disney's The Little Mermaid is one of my favourite films and it sparked my obsession with the merfolk and creatures of the sea, so when the opportunity came up to review Ariel from Jakks Pacific I splashed at the chance!

Disney Princess Colors of the Sea Ariel Doll Review

My mummy also loves Disney's The Little Mermaid and remembers watching it as a teen, she adores the musical score and storyline from the film. Being a fan (and a toddler) I wanted to review this new toy for children aged 3+. Its called, Disney Princess Colours of the Sea Ariel Toddler Doll and sounds like a bit of a mouthful, however it's the perfect size to hold for a toddler like me, about the same size as a typical child's doll. Retailing at £34.99, it is expensive for a toy, however this is no ordinary toy… she goes in the bath AND she sings, talks and lights up! That's awesome! I was super excited to rip open the packaging and any child would be seduced by the colourful box and snazzy features. We've seen her advertised and I gasped 'wow' when I first saw her.

Disney Princess Colors of the Sea Ariel Doll Review

This Ariel doll is part of a set of dolls which combines fantasy play with water play to make bathtime more fun. Other toys in the toddler doll range are Cinderella, Rapunzel and Belle. I love going "under the sea" with my favorite Disney Princess and we also enjoy playing on land too and this expands the imaginative play possibilities. Colours of the Sea Ariel is an enchanting doll and she has 14 magical phrases programmed including the song 'Part of Your World' from the film. To make her speak and sing all you need to do is press her purple shell pendant to activate the sound and lights. It was so easy to figure out and she required no assemble as she contained AAA batteries and was ready out of the box.

Disney Princess Colors of the Sea Ariel Doll Review

Ariel also comes with a pretty crown on her head which is secured with small ties (we decided not to cut these off as we're fed up of accessories going missing from toys). She's bilingual and speaks Spanish by simply pressing the button on the back of her neck, which is entertaining (reminds us of Toy Story 3).

Disney Princess Colors of the Sea Ariel Doll Review

As soon as her tail is submerged in water the sound and lights are activated and the batteries are protected inside her hard shell exterior. The light-up tail runs on a motor which isn't particularity loud and you can't really notice it (see our video below). I enjoyed washing her bright red hair and keeping the soapy suds out of her super-sized cute eyes. I'm besotted with my new buddy and I even like her side-kick Flouder who doubles up as a miniature bath squirter.

Her tail is sturdy and her fins are large meaning she can balance on her own too, perfect for when you want to have a conversation with her face-to-face. Just make sure an adult is supervising water play and that you leave Ariel in the upright position so that the water can drain off her afterwards to prevent water erosion. Remember adult supervision is required whenever us kids are playing in the bath and don't dunk Ariel too often as the sound is muffled underwater.

Disney Princess Colors of the Sea Ariel Doll Review

Overall, I love the Colours of the Sea Ariel doll. and I can see her replacing all of my bath toys in one swoop (which is great for my mummy as I was taking over the bathroom with bath toys). I think its great that she is multi-featured making her one of the most advanced toys I've ever played with. She'd be perfect for taking to the beach and on holiday too! She would make a really special Christmas present this year and I heard mummy and daddy saying they thought it was good value based on my reaction and enjoyment. Here's to many new adventures!

Love Bella x

Disclosure: We received the product in order to write an honest review.

Colours of the Sea Ariel Doll Review

Pin it for later!

Save Save